Tuesday, July 1, 2014

My First Freezer Meal and Taco Soup Recipe

I love cooking…when I have time.  When I walk through the door at 5:15 pm (and everyone needs something) I do not like to cook.

I love my crock pot!  I love it year round!  Especially on days when I know I am not going to want to cook a home-cooked meal, but want to eat a home-cooked meal, I need my crockpot!

The key was to find a way to use the time when I was not busy to prepare meals so I could cook them in the crock pot on days I was too busy.

My search led me to Crock Pot Freezer Meals!  The idea is you spend a whole day prepping meals that are frozen.  Then, you cook them as you need them.  What a fabulous idea (thank you blogging world and Pinterest for helping me find out about you)!

Now, I have decided to help me out I am going to post my favorite recipes and shopping lists here.  Pictures to come!  I am getting ready to have a doozy of a crock pot day (I will be making 20 recipes)!

There are lots of sites that have tips, tricks, and recipes to get you started…and you need to get started!

Just Google Crock Pot Freezer Meals or search for it on Pinterest.  You will find a multitude of sites that put this blog to shame.  (Remember, this site is really just a location for me to gather my thoughts and organize my recipes and shopping lists.  I will also review many of the recipes I make and write how I would change the recipes!  This is mainly because my family does not like onions, peppers, or anything good.  I still include them, just less than I would like.)

Now I must post a recipe so I do not forget why I am here.

This is one of the first recipes my family has tried and we rated it as a 5-Star Keeper!

TACO SOUP 
Slightly Modified from Taco Soup recipe from SidetrackedSarah.com  
(a great place when looking for freezer to crockpot recipes so check it out!)

Shopping List:
1 lb. ground beef
1 onion
2 cans chili beans
Small bag frozen corn
1 can tomato sauce
1 can tomatoes with chilies 
2 tbsp Taco Seasoning 

Directions:
0: Get a gallon size freezer bag and write out the crock pot directions and serving suggestions (see below) onto the bag.
1: Brown the ground beef and let cool
2: Chop the onion
3: Mix all ingredients plus 1 cup of water in a gallon size freezer bag.
4: Get as much air out of the bag as you can.  Flatten the bag and freeze it.
5: When ready to cook, thaw in the fridge overnight.

Crock Pot Directions: Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours.

Serving suggestions: Crushed tortilla chips, shredded cheese, sour cream, and black olives.

No comments:

Post a Comment